Trevase Granary Accessibility Guide
Trevase Granary is a large, converted, stone barn, which was completely renovated in 2006/2007. We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement, if you have any queries please do call. If you would like to come and view the property before booking please contact us to arrange a convenient time. We look forward to welcoming you.
At a Glance
- The main entrance has level access with a ramp. The ramp is permanent.
- There is level access from the main entrance to:
- Bedroom: Cider Twin bedroom plus two day beds
- Bedroom: Coach House twin or superking
- Bedroom: Shippon double bedroom
- Bedroom: Bull pen double bedroom
- Bedroom: Dairy twin or superking
- Games room
- Lawn Area
- Patio Area
- Hot Tub
Access with steps
- There are steps from the main entrance to:
- First floor living areas
- Laundry room (1 step up) from car park
- We have non-allergic bedding but please specify if needed.
- All are en suite, some have baths, others showers.
Level access bedrooms, Cider and Dairy
- The route to the bedroom is 1000mm wide, or more.
- The bedroom door is 810mm wide, or more.
- There is unobstructed floor space 1100mm by 900mm, or more.
- These bathrooms have a level access shower.
- The (bedroom) TVs have subtitles.
- We have a hearing loop
- The walls and the doors have high colour contrast.
- We have information in large print.
The accommodation is rated by the National Accessible Scheme as suitable for:
- Older and less mobile guests
- Part-time wheelchair users
- One of the Pursey family will be contactable 24 hours a day.
- We offer some disabled aids: 2 x toilet frames, one toilet riser seat, a bed guard, and easy-care sheets with a waterproof bed protector.
- T.G.P. and Mills Mobility Aids in Hereford hires other specialist aids, details of which are at the end of this guide.
- You can also hire wheelchairs, scooters and boot scooters from Mills Mobility Aids (a 10 minute ride into town from there) (01432 277000).
- It is possible to do your grocery shopping through www.tesco.com or www.Asda.co.uk or www.Sainsburys.co.uk or www.waitrose.co.uk.
- Delivery should be made after your arrival time and ordering with bags is advisable as the kitchen is located on the first floor.
We have a website called www.trevasecottages.co.uk
Bookings/enquiries can be made via the website, emailing [email protected] or telephone 01989 730210.
St Owens Cross
Travel by public transport
- The nearest bus stop is on the A49 at Harewood End which is 1.8 miles from Trevase Granary.
- The nearest train station is Hereford which is 11 miles, but Gloucester has a faster train service and is 24 miles away.
- There is a bus service from both stations to Harewood End
Travel by taxi
- Hereford Rank Taxis – 01432 278279
- Hereford United taxis- 01432 388010
- Blue Line Taxis- 01432 343435
- all have wheelchair accessible vehicles
- Luggage can be unloaded in the Car Park at the side of the Granary.
- The Car Park is tarmac and level, with space for around 12 cars.
- The Car Park lighting at night is by remote sensors that come on automatically. There is also lighting under the walkway operated by a switch at the corner near the barn. The rest of the lighting all the way to the front door of The Granary is automatically sensor controlled.
Path to main entrance
- The entrance to the Granary’s courtyard has a gate and is level paving stones to the front door, which is 30 yards from the car parking.
- The front door is 1000mm wide and has a step 4 c.m. deep into the front hall.
- The main door and all doors are side hung and manual.
- There is a permanent ramp.
- The front door will be open for guests arriving at 3.00 p.m. on the day of their booking. Each bedroom has a key and also a front door key for their use which can be found in the hallway.
- Guests will be greeted shortly after their arrival and information will be verbally given on various housekeeping matters. There are also two guests books with information.
- The Pursey family live in the farmhouse, which is about 40 yards from the Granary, and are happy to help with any queries at any time. Phone numbers are provided in the guest books.
- There are exterior steps with access to the first floor corridor near the dining room (see main photograph on the first page of this guide). The steps are original and therefore have uneven depth of tread. Can be used as a fire exit.
- There is good mobile phone reception in The Granary. There is a Wireless network connection in the Granary and Games Room; details of this are in the Guest Information books.
There is a PDF file on the web site www.trevasecottages.co.uk which gives the whole layout of The Granary.
Getting around inside
- At the narrowest point of the hall its width is 100cm wide.
- The passages are all level with a tiled or wooden flooring leading off to five bedrooms.
- All of the doorways are a minimum of 810mm wide.
- The five bedrooms are a mixture of baths or showers- for details go to the description or 3D tour.
Accessible bedroom: Cider
- There is an emergency call pull system at the toilet and bed, connected to the dining room upstairs. An alarm will sound and a red light will come on if an orange cord is pulled. To turn it off push the reset button where it was activated.
- The two single beds are a height of 65cm from the carpeted floor to the top of mattress. A waterproof mattress protector can put on the bed for you if requested beforehand.
- There are also two day beds in this room.
- All mattresses are of a medium hardness.
- There is 170cm of unobstructed space to one side of the bed nearest to the door. The other bed has 110cm of space between one side of the bed and the dressing table.
- The TV and cd, radio alarm clock are both remote controlled.
- The large wet room in Cider suite has a power shower, and there is a plastic stool to use in the shower.
- The hand held shower head can be lowered to a height of 1550m from 2000mm on the shower bar. The controls are 1100mm from the floor and the shower glass allows a space of 1100mm x 1100mm.
- There are grab rails in the shower room in the positions which were deemed suitable by the Assessor.
- There is specialist non-slip flooring.
- The sink has a lever tap and a push plug and is a height of 84cm.
- The toilet is 430mm from seat to floor.
Accessible bedroom: Dairy
- This bedroom has twin beds which can be made into a superking.
- The height from the top of the mattress to the carpeted floor is 550mm.
- The width by the side of the bed as a superking is 1150mm if pushed to the wall on one of the sides.
- The wet room has grab rails and is suitable for a less able guest.
- The shower room also has a pull switch alarm system upstairs to the dining room. The cord is next to the toilet.
- The wet room has a tiled floor and a shower curtain allowing a space of 850mm wide by 1500mm.
- The controls are 1100mm from the floor and the hand held shower head can be lowered from 2000mm to 1500mm on the shower bar.
- The sink is 800mm high and has a lever tap and push plug.
- The toilet seat is 430mm from the floor.
- The oak stairs have a Stannah type chair lift to the first floor.
- This can be operated with a remote or manually by using the lever on the left arm rest (please ask for instruction on arrival).
- The seat is 600mm from the floor.
- There is a foot rest which can be folded back and a waist strap.
- There is a lever which can turn the chair at the top of the stairs so that the rider can get off the chair safely onto the landing.
- The passages are 900 mm wide at their narrowest point. The doorways are 810mm wide.
- There is a cloakroom near to the dining room door.
- The floors in the lounge, dining room and passages are all oak floorboards.
- The T.V. Lounge has a carpet.
- All of the seating is between 400mm and 460mm from seat to floor.
Self catering kitchen
- The kitchen has a tiled floor.
- The Kitchen has a work surface, which is 800mm high, suitable for a wheel chair occupant to help with food preparation.
- There is a set of cutlery and plates suitable to aid dexterity available in the cupboards.
- Both sinks are a height of 900mm.
- The oven is dual fuel with gas hobs and a warming plate.
- The dining room has good access around the dining room table which can comfortably seat all 18 guests.
- There is a large carver chair which is a height of 560mm from floor to seat and has a seat width of 520mm.
- The height of the dining table is 710mm from the underside of the table top.
Top Floor Bedrooms
- There is a flight of stairs from the first floor landing outside the T.V. lounge up to two double en suite bedrooms (Hayloft and Owlpen).
- From the lounge there is a circular oak stairway leading to a double bedroom with bathroom (Dovecote).
- All three bedrooms on this top floor have the original Eighteenth Century Oak Beams. They have been padded with leather and are approximately 1300mm above floor level (250mm thick) which is chest height meaning that guests will need to duck under this. There is one in each room which separates the bed and bathroom areas.
Games Room and Walled Garden
- To access the Walled Garden and Games Room go through the courtyard gate, across the farmyard (25m) and through double wooden gates. This is all level concrete. Sensors control all of the lighting.
- The paved area around to the front of the building is a level flagstone.
- There are glass manual side hinged doors that open into the room with the hot tub and another set into the games room.
- There are no steps but a small lip for the door threshold. Both of these doors can be folded back to allow a width of 2070mm.
- There is another door at the back of the games room which has a step of 130mm and is 1100mm wide. This is accessed over gravel.
- The games room is tiled flooring with a resistance rating of R9 in the main room.
- The Games room has a pool table and a table tennis table. There is also a variety of seating and a table inside.
- There is a large changing room through an 800mm wide door with a bench, toilet (430mm from floor to seat) sink (height of 900mm) and shower. The shower (1100 x 700mm) has a step up in the tray with a sliding door (opening of 530mm).
- The grass garden is fairly level with a patio area in front of the games room and gravel surrounding the rest of the building.
For information regarding hire of equipment or care providers got to the Accessibility page.