Penblaith Barn Accessibility Guide
Penblaith is a large converted stone barn, which was opened in 2010. We have tried to provide as much information as possible in this statement but if you have any queries please do call. If you would like to come and view the property before booking please contact us to arrange a convenient time. We look forward to welcoming you.
At a Glance
- The main entrance has level access with a ramp. The ramp is permanent.
- There is level access from the main entrance to:
- Dining room
- Bedroom: Plum tree suite with wet room
- TV Lounge
- Hot tub
- There is level access from the car park to
- Some of the lawn Area
- Games room
Access with steps
- There are steps from the main entrance to:
- First and second floor bedrooms
- We have non-allergic bedding but please specify if needed.
- All are en suite, some have baths, others showers.
- Level access bedroom: Plum Tree suite
- The route to the bedroom is 1000mm wide, or more.
- The bedroom door is 810mm wide.
- There is unobstructed floor space 1100mm by 900mm, or more.
- There is a wetroom with level access shower.
- The (bedroom) TVs have subtitles.
- We have a hearing loop
- The walls and the doors have high colour contrast.
- We have information in large print.
The accommodation is rated by the National Accessible Scheme as suitable for:
- Older and less mobile guests
- Part-time wheelchair users
- One of the Pursey family is contactable 24 hours a day.
- We offer some disabled aids: 2 x toilet frames, one toilet riser seat, a bed guard, and easy-care sheets with a waterproof bed protector.
- T.G.P. and Mills Mobility Aids in Hereford hires other specialist aids, details of which are on the accessibility page.
- You can also hire wheelchairs, scooters and boot scooters from Mills Mobility Aids (a 10 minute ride into town from there) (01432 277000).
- It is possible to do your grocery shopping through www.tesco.com or www.Asda.co.uk or www.Sainsburys.co.uk or www.waitrose.co.uk.
- Delivery should be made after your arrival time and ordering with bags is advisable.
We have a website called www.trevasecottages.co.uk
Bookings/enquiries can be made via the website, emailing [email protected] or telephone 01989 730210.
Please note that you cannot access the barn directly from the main road as this is our neighbour’s driveway. Directions can be found on our website and google maps take you to the end of the driveway.
Travel by public transport
- The nearest bus stop is on the A466 at Llancloudy. There is a bus service from Monmouth and Hereford to Llancloudy.
- The nearest train station is Hereford which is 15 miles, but Gloucester has a faster train service and is 25 miles away or Newport which is 30 miles away.
Travel by taxi
- Hereford Rank Taxis – 01432 278279
- Hereford United taxis- 01432 388010
- Blue Line Taxis- 01432 343435
- all have wheelchair accessible vehicles
- Luggage can be unloaded in the Car Park at the back of the Barn (follow car park signs).
- The Car Park is level, with space for around 16 cars.
- The Car Park lighting at night is by remote sensors that come on automatically.
- There is a security camera pointing at the car park and entrance door.
- There is a permanent ramp and handrail from the car park to the main door with hand rail.
- The door is 1000mm wide.
- All doors are side hung and manual.
- The front door can be opened using a key code provided with the directions. Each bedroom has a key and also a front door key for their use.
- Contact details of the Pursey family and other notices are on the notice board in the dining room. There are also two information folders.
- There is good mobile phone reception in Penblaith Barn.
- There is a Wireless network connection; details of this are in the Guest Information folder.
- The Pursey family live about 5 miles away and are happy to help with any queries at any time.
Getting around inside
- All living rooms have stone flooring and rugs but none are in the passageways.
- The passageways and doorways are all at least 800mm wide (mostly 1000mm wide).
- There is a shallow ramp from the dining room to the corridor accessing the downstairs Plum bedroom and stairway to Apple tree and Chestnut tree suites.
- From this downstairs corridor there is a door leading to the outside patio.
- From the dining room and entrance hall the front patio can also be reached through double doors (all ramped).
- There is a downstairs cloakroom off the dining room with a door width of 100cm.
Accessible bedroom: Plum tree suite
- There are two single beds which are a height of 65cm from the carpeted floor to the top of mattress. A waterproof mattress protector can put on the bed for you if requested beforehand.
- The bedroom is carpeted.
- All mattresses are of a medium hardness.
- There is 170cm of unobstructed space to one side of the bed nearest to the door. The other bed has 110cm of space between one side of the bed and the dressing table.
- The TV is remote controlled.
- There is a wet room with power shower and non slip flooring.
- There is a plastic shower chair and toilet riser.
- There are grab rails in the shower room in the positions which were deemed suitable by the Assessor.
- The hand held shower head can be lowered to a height of 1550mm from 2000mm on the shower bar. The controls are 1100mm from the floor and the shower glass allows a space of 1100mm x 1100mm.
- The sink has a lever tap and a push plug and is a height of 84cm.
- The toilet is 430mm from seat to floor.
- All of the seating is between 400mm and 460mm from seat to floor.
- There is a central rug and coffee table and three large sofas looking towards a large TV and wood burner effect fire.
- There are four large leather sofas with a central rug and coffee table.
Self catering kitchen
- The kitchen is reached by a shallow ramp from the dining room.
- The sink is a height of 900mm.
- The oven is dual fuel with gas hobs and a warming plate.
- There is a washer dryer.
- There is a central island for food preparation and storage.
- There is an exterior door to the rear car park where food shopping can be taken through easily. There is a small step of 100mm down onto the car park.
- The dining room table can comfortably seat all 18 guests.
- There is a large carver chair which is a height of 560mm from floor to seat and has a seat width of 520mm.
- The height of the dining table is 710mm from the underside of the table top.
- In the dining room there is a kitchenette with sink plus a hostess trolley. There are two dishwashers for ease of clearing away dishes etc from the table. There is also cutlery, china and glasses within easy access close to the table in the dining room.
- There is cutlery and plates suitable to aid dexterity.
- The oak stairs has a fixed child safety gate at the bottom of the stairs
- There are three bedrooms on the first floor that can be reached via the main oak staircase in the entrance hall.
- The passages and doorways are 950mm wide and all rooms have oak flooring with rugs near the beds.
- All en-suite bathrooms on this floor have Spanish tile floors with toilets and sinks.
- The bedroom to the left, accessed via a wooden galleried walkway is called Elm tree suite and has a double wash hand basin, bath and separate shower cubicle.
- To the right of the stairs are Beech tree and Oak tree suites. Beech tree suite has a bath with separate shower and overlooks the garden. At the end of the corridor, Oak tree suite is the largest bedroom and its en-suite has a bath, double shower and double wash hand basin.
- Apple tree suite is found on the first floor by climbing the stairs at the other end of the barn. The en-suite has a roll top bath.
Top Floor Bedrooms
- From the stairs in the entrance hall the second-floor bedrooms are reached by taking the right fork of steps. At the top of these stairs the galleried walkway to the left takes you to Pear tree suite. This bedroom, as it is in the top of the barn, has some exposed beams and a sloping ceiling which are low towards the outside edge. There are two roof lights with black out blinds. The en-suite is fitted with lino and has a shower with hinged glass door.
- Willow tree suite, to the right of the stairs is our family room which has a double bed and through an open partition with curtain, two day beds both of a standard single size. The en-suite is fitted with a bath and again has roof lights and a sloping ceiling.
- There is another flight of stairs near Apple tree suite at the other end of the barn which is only 60 cm wide at its narrowest point and has a rope handrail. The door at the top of these stairs lead into the large Chestnut tree suite. This room is carpeted with lino in the bathroom which is complete with shower. This also has exposed beams and roof lights. This bedroom can also be accessed through Willow tree suite as there is a connecting door with key.
Games Room and Garden
- The games room is at the kitchen end of the car park and is all level concrete with a ramp up through the door (1200mm wide).
- Sensors control all the lighting.
- The Games room has a pool table, a table tennis table and outdoor games. There is also a variety of seating.
- The paved area at the front of the building is a level flagstone which is raised a maximum of 1100mm from the garden beds below. There is a fence to the left of the barn as far as the steps.
- Steps reach the garden from the centre of the area or from either side of the barn down a ramp.
- The BBQ in put out in the Summer months to the left of the barn on the patio and the pizza oven is out all year round at the centre of the patio.
- The hot tub is just to the left of the entrance hall doors on the front patio.
- There are various large lawns at the front of the barn and a level grassed area suitable for football etc to the left of the barn. There is a gravel driveway which separates the hard flooring and grass areas.
- The pond is fenced off as access is not permitted.
- The gate by the pond at the back of Penblaith should not be used except in the case of emergencies – emergency key on key board.
For information regarding hire of equipment or care providers go to the Accessibility page.